OldTools Archive

Recent Bios FAQ

278553 cowtown_eric <ecoyle@t...> 2024‑06‑21 I have an English backsaw which I can find no info on
Clear stamp

Armour
Hindon Street
Pimlico

I  do not have the book on British Saw makers

Any info out there ????

Interestingly, it has been de-toothed, but still shows tiny remnants of the
bottoms of some of the gullets, and it looks like the front 1/2" had finer
teeth. Brass back is substantial (ie "heavy")

Eric in Calgary
278554 Christian Gagneraud <chgans@g...> 2024‑06‑21 Re: I have an English backsaw which I can find no info on
On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 at 14:29, cowtown_eric via groups.io
 wrote:
>
> Clear stamp
>
> Armour
> Hindon Street
> Pimlico

From https://www.handplane.com/32/practical-plane-making-1/
Armour was a plane maker from the Pimlico area of London and is noted
in W.L. Goodman’s book “British Planemakers From 1700”.

Wanna share some photos? :)

Chris
278555 Tony Seo 2024‑06‑21 Re: I have an English backsaw which I can find no info on
On 6/20/2024 10:29 PM, cowtown_eric wrote:
> Clear stamp
>
> Armour
> Hindon Street
> Pimlico
>
> I  do not have the book on British Saw makers

He was a plane maker.  Actually a whole bunch of them.  That address
shows up from 1878 to 1911 or so.

Like lots of other makers, they were marking other tools as well, they
might not have been the makers of the saw.

Tony (let's just say that it's way too hot here for my tastes)

--

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/tonyseomusic
Old River Hard Goods
http://oldetoolshop.com/
278556 gary allan may 2024‑06‑21 Re: I have an English backsaw which I can find no info on
Must've been a totally worn-out user, awaiting re-toothing. I bet it's a winner,
good buddy. Paul Sellers advocates for gentler teeth at the toe...
 

    On Thursday, June 20, 2024 at 07:29:11 PM PDT, cowtown_eric 
wrote:

Interestingly, it has been de-toothed, but still shows tiny remnants of the
bottoms of some of the gullets, and it looks like the front 1/2" had finer
teeth. Brass back is substantial (ie "heavy")

Eric in Calgary
278558 Richard Wilson <yorkshireman@y...> 2024‑06‑21 Re: I have an English backsaw which I can find no info on
British Saws & Saw Makers from c1660. (Simon Barley) 


Contains... 

Armour, William James	London
112 Lillington Street, Pimlico 		1874-1876
47 Hindon Street, Pimlico 		1877-1881
68 Wilton Street			<1909>
Listed under saw makers for the above, although he was listed as a platemaker,
toolmaker and dealer until at least 1915; BPM3 shows marks indicating some sort
of relationship (perhaps no more than a purchaser) with John Moseley



No illustration of the mark is given.
John Moseley is described as ’the pre-eminent wooden platemaker in London
throughout the C19.





Richard Wilson
yorkshireman Galoot in Northumbria



> On 21 Jun 2024, at 03:39, Christian Gagneraud  wrote:
> 
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 at 14:29, cowtown_eric via groups.io
>  wrote:
>> 
>> Clear stamp
>> 
>> Armour
>> Hindon Street
>> Pimlico
> 
> From https://www.handplane.com/32/practical-plane-making-1/
> Armour was a plane maker from the Pimlico area of London and is noted
> in W.L. Goodman’s book “British Planemakers From 1700”.
> 
> Wanna share some photos? :)
> 
> Chris
> 
> 
>> 
>> I  do not have the book on British Saw makers
>> 
>> Any info out there ????
>> 
>> Interestingly, it has been de-toothed, but still shows tiny remnants of the
bottoms of some of the gullets, and it looks like the front 1/2" had finer
teeth. Brass back is substantial (ie "heavy")
>> 
>> Eric in Calgary
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 



-- 
Yorkshireman Galoot
in the most northerly county, farther north even than Yorkshire
IT #300

Recent Bios FAQ