- Named after the dog barn that keeps our six dogs warm in the winter.
20-Feb-2016 – 21-Feb-2016
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|10||pounds||(100%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|½||ounce||German Herkules pellet hops, 15.7% AA (first wort hop)|
|1||ounce||German Northern Brewer pellet hops, 6% AA (60 minutes)|
|1||ounce||Cluster pellet hops, 8% AA (1 minute)|
|10||drops||Five Star Defoamer 105 (90 minutes)|
- Safale US-05 dry yeast, pitched at 64°F
- Starter: Started 30 minutes ahead in ¼ cup of 80°F water.
- Aeration: Drill aerator for three minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 37 quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 15 quarts mash water treated with:
- 2 ml 88% Lactic Acid.
- 15 quarts water @ 160°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 150°F (Held 150 minutes), 141°F at the end of the mash, SG 1.036.
- 22 quarts water @ 183°F, drain
- Boiled 7¾ gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5½ gallons wort
- Wort prepared Saturday afternoon, boiled the next day. First wort hops remained in the wort overnight.
- Final volume 4½ gallons, added ½ gallon distilled water to fermentor.
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 64°F, signs of fermentation after 24 hours
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 66°F
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 4 weeks
- Ready to drink on 19-Mar-2016
|Starting Gravity: 1.052||Final Gravity: 1.008|
|Original Extract: 12.9°plato||Apparent Extract: 2.05°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.10°plato|
|Alcohol: 5.8% by volume||(4.5% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 84.0%||Mash Efficiency: 70%|
|Bitterness: 38 IBU||Color: 6.2 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.73||BV: 1.90|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|