- A cream ale brewed a day before Solstice, 2015.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|5||pounds||(56%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt (gap 0.9 mm)|
|1||pound||(11%)||Briess 6-Row Malt|
|½||ounces||Willamette pellet hops, 5.2% AA (first wort hop)|
|¾||ounces||Willamette pellet hops, 5.2% AA (60 minutes)|
- Safale US-05 dry yeast, pitched at 65°F
- Starter: Started 15 minutes ahead in ¼ cup of 80°F water.
- Aeration: Drill aerator for three minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 36 quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 12 quarts mash water treated with:
- 1 tablespoon 5.2 pH Stabilizer.
- 12 quarts water @ 160°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 149°F (Held 90 minutes), major issues with Monster Mill, eventually got grain through it. 2 q of sparge water heated to 180°F, added to mash to hit 149°F. 145°F at the end of the mash.
- 24 quarts water @ 179°F, drain
- Recirculate 1½ gallons before running into kettle. Stuck after about four gallons, second run went smoothly.
- Boiled 8 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5½ gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 64°F, obvious bubbling after 18 hours, foamed into airlock on days 4 and 6. 1.018 on day 6.
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 68°F
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 4 weeks
- Ready to drink on 15-Jan-2016
|Starting Gravity: 1.051||Final Gravity: 1.012|
|Original Extract: 12.6°plato||Apparent Extract: 3.07°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.87°plato|
|Alcohol: 5.1% by volume||(4.0% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 75.7%||Mash Efficiency: 69%|
|Bitterness: 17 IBU||Color: 4.5 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.33||BV: 0.72|
- 3-Jan-2016: After one week in the keg, cloudy, fine white foamy head, excellent flavor and color. Corn flavors, especially on finish, bit of a yeast bite.
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|