- Recipe based on Jeff Renner's McGinty's Irish-American Red Ale, from the HBD. Named for our red dog Piper. I make this beer a lot and it's excellent.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|4||pounds||(41%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|3||pounds||(30%)||Briess 6-Row Malt|
|1||ounce||Kent Goldings whole hops, 4.2% AA (first wort hop)|
|1.5||ounces||Kent Goldings whole hops, 4.2% AA (60 minutes)|
- Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale, pitched at 64°F
- Starter: 2 quart starter (pack -> 2 quarts wort), cooled, decanted, warmed
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 37 quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 15 quarts mash water treated with:
- 1 ml 88% lactic acid.
- 15 quarts water @ 167°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 154°F (Held 105 minutes), Temperature range: 154 - 153 F.
- 22 quarts water @ 180°F, drain
- Boiled 8.0 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 66°F, Temperature range 64 - 68 F
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 66°F, 1.017 at transfer.
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 2 weeks
- Ready to drink on 2-May-2009
|Starting Gravity: 1.043||Final Gravity: 1.010|
|Original Extract: 10.7°plato||Apparent Extract: 2.6°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.12°plato|
|Alcohol: 4.3% by volume||(3.4% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 76.1%||Mash Efficiency: 68%|
|Bitterness: 28 IBU||Color: 12 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.65||BV: 1.39|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|