- I should be doing a bunch of stuff around the house. Instead, I'm brewing beer.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|8||pounds||(89%)||Castle Pilsner Malt|
|1||pound||(11%)||Briess Special Roast|
|1||ounce||Willamette whole hops, 5.5% AA (first wort hop)|
|1||ounce||Simcoe whole hops, 13.0% AA (60 minutes)|
|1||ounce||Willamette whole hops, 5.5% AA (1 minute)|
- Wyeast 1056 American Ale, pitched at 68°F
- Starter: Pitched directly from smack pack.
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 36.5 quarts water treated with:
- 4 ml Potassium Metabisulfide solution (50ppm). Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 13.5 quarts mash water treated with:
- 2 teaspoons Gypsum. Adds 383 ppm sulfate, 159 ppm calcium; lowers mash pH.
- 13.5 quarts water @ 163°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 153°F (Held 60 minutes), Temperature range 153 F - 154 F.
- 23 quarts water @ 180°F, drain
- Boiled 7.5 gallons for 75 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 66°F
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 68°F
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 2 weeks
- Ready to drink on 12-Aug-2007
|Starting Gravity: 1.040||Final Gravity: 1.010|
|Original Extract: 10.0°plato||Apparent Extract: 2.6°plato|
|Real Extract: 3.98°plato|
|Alcohol: 3.9% by volume||(3.1% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 74.4%||Mash Efficiency: 68%|
|Bitterness: 55 IBU||Color: 8 SRM|
|BU:SG: 1.37||BV: 2.83|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|