- Based on Jeff Renner's Classic American Cream Ale recipe from the HBD. Something went awry and it got pretty sour by the end, hence the name.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|3.0||pounds||(25%)||Corn meal (see notes below)|
|0.75||ounces||Saaz whole hops, 6.9% AA (first wort hop)|
|1.0||ounce||Saaz whole hops, 6.9% AA (60 minutes)|
|1.0||ounce||Saaz whole hops, 6.9% AA (15 minutes)|
|0.5||teaspoon||Irish Moss (15 minutes)|
- White Labs WLP001, California Ale, pitched at 74°F
- Starter: 700 mL water, 3/4 cup DME, 1 t yeast nutrient, pitched at 60 F
- Pioneer Wells water
- Corn meal: Mixed with 1.0 pound 2-row, 6 quarts 165 F water, held at 153 F for 20 minutes Heated to boiling, allowed to simmer for 35 minutes, added to main mash with 3 quarts water in mashing step 2.
- 8.0 quarts water @ 165°F, grist ratio of 1.0 quarts:pound @ 140°F (Held 50 minutes)
- 3.0 quarts water @ 70°F, grist ratio of 1.4 quarts:pound @ 150°F (Held 10 minutes), Includes boiling corn meal, 7 quarts water
- 2.0 quarts water @ 212°F, grist ratio of 1.6 quarts:pound @ 155°F (Held 40 minutes), Target was 156 F, step used to get close
- 21 quarts water @ 165°F, drain
- Boiled 7.0 gallons for 60 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: glass, 8 days, 60°F
- Secondary: glass, 47 days, 60°F
- Bottled with 127 grams dextrose
|Starting Gravity: 1.049||Final Gravity: 1.010|
|Original Extract: 12.2°plato||Apparent Extract: 2.6°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.41°plato|
|Alcohol: 5.1% by volume||(4.0% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 78.7%||Mash Efficiency: 61%|
|Bitterness: 37 IBU||Color: 3 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.76||BV: 1.72|
- Great color, clarity. Taste became quite sour and astrigent after a few weeks in the bottle. I suspect water chemistry and a high sparge pH.
- (Several weeks later) -- or perhaps an infection. . .
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|