Short version: I cast a Preston like mitre gauge over the weekend!
Longer version: Thanks to the indirect help of two galoots I successfully
cast a mitre gauge this past weekend! The galoots in question are
Gil Chesbro whose tireless advocacy of Tiller's International led me to
their web page: http://www.wmich.edu/tillers/classes/black.html#Foundry
The second galoot is Australian Tony Blanks. I mention the mitre gauge
from _Making and Modifying Woodworking Tools_ on my Kingshott web page.
The book shows the pattern, core box, and resulting casting but does not
explain the process. Tony's timely inquiry about Preston mitre gauges
reminded me to bring its pattern and core box to the casting class. I took
pictures of my gauge being cast and have updated my Kingshott page
In the class we built a Gingery furnace. We then melted and poured both
aluminum and brass. The only electrons used during the class powered a
hair dryer. It was used to increase the air flow to the charcoal while
melting the metal. In true galoot fashion, the charcoal was made on site
*and* all the electrons came from a solar charged bank of batteries.
The molding sand we used was homemade- I still have a lot of work ahead to
clean up my fuzzy gauge. I don't think anyone would confuse it for an
Most of what went on is off charter but the result was a new oldtool!
To galoots Gil and Tony I will be forever greatful.